Topic Title: Shrimp Recipe
Created on June 16, 2012 at 07:08 PM
I have been using the steamer function of the Holland for the past couple weeks to dial in some various cooking times on it. Here's a recipe using the drip pan/steamer for steamed in-the-shell shrimp.
1. Prepare a brine of water (or beer) and a good helping of Old Bay Seafood Seasoning. Dump in a pound of fresh, rinsed medium or large shrimp. Brine should cover shrimp. Let soak.
2. Close drain valve on drip pan and pour in a bottle of your favorite beer, topping off with water. Make sure the pan is completely full. Light grill (with open lid of course) and then allow to preheat. Should take about 15 to 20 minutes to reach 275F. Once at 275F, allow 10 additional minutes to stabilize.
3. Drain brine off shrimp. Crack lid open and quickly dump shrimp on cooking grid. Spread shrimp out evenly so none are on top of others. Close lid.
4. Steam for 4 minutes, then crack open lid and with a spatula, quickly scoop and flip shrimp. Steam for another 4 minutes.
5. Open lid fully and scoop shrimp onto serving plate. They will be hot. Wait a couple minutes, peel, eat and enjoy.
This process is for a pound of shrimp. You may wish to add 1 or 2 minutes total cooking time for each additional pound of shrimp cooked at the same time.
Shrimp are fully cooked with when they turn opaque white. Do not overcook.